It’s no secret that Ramadan can bring out the best in people. Dedicated to reflection, restraint, generosity and unity, the holy month draws families and friends together to share and reflect—and for professionals in the Middle East and North Africa region (MENA), the spirit of Ramadan carries from home to the workplace. According to the new Bayt.com “Ramadan in the Middle East Workplace” poll, carried out by Bayt.com, the Middle East’s leading career site, a majority of MENA professionals (86.8%) agree that Ramadan is one of their favorite times of the year.
More than half (53.7%) of MENA respondents feel that they socialize more than usual with their colleagues during Ramadan. In keeping with a heightened morale and a more sociable atmosphere at work, a slightly higher percentage (56.3%) of MENA professionals believe that there is a noticeable increase in their company’s charitable activity during Ramadan.
With a favorable workplace atmosphere during the holy month, responses are fairly evenly split when it comes to taking time off from work. 53.7% of respondents say that they do not take time off during Ramadan and 46.3% say that they do at least occasionally. Similarly, just over half (56.9%) of respondents travel on the Eid break while the rest (43.1%) do not.
Of course, Ramadan sentiments of illumination and compassion are evident in MENA professionals’ personal lives as well. The vast majority (96.1%) of respondents say that they use Ramadan to reflect on their life and become a better person, and almost as many respondents (94.9%) say that they personally give more to charity during the holy month.
Additionally, more than eight in ten (81.1%) MENA professionals feel that they see more family and friends during Ramadan and a slightly higher number (83.1%) believe that their lifestyle habits are healthier for the month. It’s evident that Ramadan has many positive effects on the MENA region, lifting people’s spirits and enabling their generosity—and these can be seen in many ways in the workplace.
“There are substantial changes in the MENA workplace during the month of Ramadan, and it is important for both employers, employees and job seekers to have a clear view of what to expect during this time. It is interesting that more than 3 in every five respondents believe that their morale is lifted during Ramadan, which is something employers can use to build employee loyalty, engagement, and retention,” said Suhail Masri, Vice President of Employer Solutions, Bayt.com. “From their side, job seekers can use the time to network for their careers and dedicate extra time to learning. Bayt.com tools like Specialties and Courses can help. Ramadan is a month of spirituality, family and blessings revolved around doing good deeds and practicing self-restraint, and at Bayt.com we would like to wish everyone in the region a Ramadan Kareem.”
Data for the 2016 Bayt.com ‘Ramadan in the Workplace in the Middle East’ poll was collected online from May 17 2016 to May 29 2016. Results are based on a sample of 3,660 respondents. Countries that participated are the UAE, Bahrain, Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Tunisia, Qatar, KSA, Yemen, and Others.
You must be logged in to post a comment.